Dear Holders of the Cup,
Holidays are upon us, love it or not, they have arrived, the countdown is on!
Secret, I hated Christmas up until twelve years ago. Christmas’ past, childhood memories, blah, blah, blah. In this re-frame of embracing the holiday season with open arms, I am now one of those who play Christmas music in November. At nearly 50 years old I contain the child enthusiasm I wasn’t able to hold as a kid.
Here is another secret, my quick tips to enjoying the season and holding a full cup among the busyness:
- I send Christmas cards, every other year. (Not this year.)
- I carry out the traditions that make not just the kids, but me smile. (Note: when we smile so do our children, ripple effect, just sayin’.)
- I try on a new tradition every year. (Do you have one for me?)
- I get outside and enjoy the lights with late night and early morning walks.
- I turn off the TV advertisements telling me to buy, buy, buy.
- I make homemade gifts.
- I don’t buy something I think I SHOULD buy, I buy because it feels good head to toe.
- Less is more. (I am enough, what I am doing is enough, I choose quality over quantity.)
- Take a daily inventory of my stress, my intentions, my joy.
- SLOW. DOWN. (Breathe more, do less.) (Read a book a night from our extensive Christmas book collection. Drink my tea or cocoa while it is still hot. Meditate more. Be with the person in front of me, let go of rushing around and cramming it all in.)
I invite you to pick one or pick them all. This the season of reflection, celebration, connection, receiving, and simply being. You need not do so much, unless of course that fills you to overflowing. What are your secrets to truly enjoying the holiday season? I’d love to know.
Hi, I’m Jenny Gwinn McGlothern, Certified Transformational Master Life Coach who has been leading retreats for women and coaching them since 2010. On the path of discovery, always seeking, it is clear that one of my favorite ways to fill my own cup is by writing. May my random blog give you a sip to reflect, a nugget to chew, a thought to refill. If it is an accountability partner you seek, I offer life and spiritual coaching in person in Seattle and by phone. firstname.lastname@example.org or www.mamaneedsarefill.com or 206 255 0463. (Next mini-retreat, Friday January 5th is sold out. Two seats available for February 9th mini-retreat: Love Cup. 9:30 – 2 PM, in West Seattle. April 20th and June 8th mini-retreats: 5 open seats each.