Are you a morning person or a night person? Do you slowly awaken to the day or wake up ready to go? Do you shut down early or come alive at midnight when most of your world is asleep?
I am both. Not at the same time, but on separate ocassions. But if I had to pick one, I definitely am a morning person. I awake ready for the day. My feet hit the floor grateful for a new start. My mind starts to race about all the possibilites before me, no caffeine needed. At the same time I don’t necessarily want to talk to you, I want to connect to myself first, for that is how I fill my cup and find my best self. In silence. In stillness.
I have a number of morning rituals that allow me to find myself. My practices ground and nurture my soul. What is wonderful is that these grounding tools and cup fillers can be done any time of day. Knowing how much they rejuvenate my spirit I can call upon them and tap into them if needed during another time of the day.
Regardless if you are a morning or a night person here are some cup fillers and fresh start ideas to wake you up:
- Stop where you are and ask yourself: “What is my intention for the rest of the day?” Is it to feel peaceful, accomplished, joyful or to be open? Whatever it is, speak it out to yourself in the present tense, “I am peaceful. I am accomplished. I choose joy. OR I am open to what comes my way.” Living intentionally provides a path to opportunity.
- Play music. Choose a song that makes your feet tap and most importantly your heart sing.
- Pull out your journal and jot down your feelings. Whatever they are GET THEM OUT. If you are concerned about someone seeing it (most people’s fear) have a colored pen handy to color over it. Transform your feelings to art.
- Imagine you are holding an empty bowl, fill it with all that you are grateful. Imagine writing these things “good and bad” on slips of paper and tossing them into your bowl. Gratitude gets you present. Gratitude is the pathway to abundance.
- Place your hands on your heart and take three, deep, long, breaths. May your inhale and exhale be matched, so count if needed. Just breathe sister.
These practices wake me no matter the time of day, connecting me to what matters, bringing me back to the present moment aligned with my best self.
Are you willing to tap into the morning person within you with one of this cup fillers or do you have your own way to wake up? Wake up already and cheers to the moment no matter the hour on the clock.
Hello! I’m Jenny Gwinn McGlothern, Certified Transformational Master Coach for your Life and Spirit. I have been leading retreats for women and coaching them since 2009. One of my favorite ways to fill my own cup is by writing. May my weekly blog give you a sip to reflect, a nugget to chew, a thought to refill. If it is an accountability partner you seek, I offer life and spiritual coaching for men, women, teenagers, and couples, in person in Seattle and by phone. 2017 Mini-retreats in West Seattle 9:30 – 2: June 2 (sold out), September 15 (4 seats left). Limited availability, register early. email@example.com or www.mamaneedsarefill.com. 206 255 0463.